Recent Posts

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Handmade felt ornaments


This year I ventured out and made some ornaments. My husband's great-grandmother had crocheted ice skates with paper clips for the blade, which we hang on the tree every year. I thought, "there must be some sort of pattern out there for a sewn version of this project", and alas, I found it! (It also has a pattern for darling little mittens.).

They were really quite simple to make. I have a TON of felt scraps from my diaper soakers, and I added jingle bells and a year tag to them. I chose to hand sew them using a blanket stitch on the mittens. I had never done this before, and found a great tutorial. I love learning new things! I used a straight stitch on the skates. Now, if I weren't making THIRTEEN of them, it would have been a much less daunting task. :)

These are going out to family and friends this year, but perhaps...just perhaps...next year I can start this project early enough to make some to stock in the shop. I can't decide which I like better....the pair of skates or the furry mitten. Hmmm... I guess I'll keep one of each for us this year!

You can also make these with eco-felt (made from recycled pop bottles), or any fabric you have around the house (maybe old sweaters, sweatshirts, or even socks?). I'd love to hear if you try it!

1 comments:

futuregirl said...

Thank you for linking to my tutorial! Those are adorable little ornaments. I love the paperclip ice skates. :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing your comment. - Jen

Related Posts with Thumbnails