Recent Posts

Thursday, December 30, 2010

New year's resolutions - mom style


It's the time for resolutions - of which I've vowed not to make any more! They just never seem to work out and I wind up feeling more like a failure than anything. So instead I try to re-shift my focus during the New Year - this year I am focusing on finding the balance between myself and being a mom. My kids are 6 and 4 now, and I'm still struggling with this!

I thought I would share part of an article I tore from a Parents magazine (January 2005), which has been hanging on my refrigerator ever since (and, boy, is it tattered!). It helps keep me centered and focused in the midst of real life.

8 Resolutions Every Mom Should Make
  1. I will embrace the fact that I'm not perfect
  2. I will get down on the floor and play with my child every day
  3. I will take care of my body
  4. I will learn to love chaos
  5. I will make the family dinner a priority
  6. I will focus a little more on my marriage
  7. I will make time for my friends
  8. I will remind myself daily that time with my children is precious
The article goes into a bit more depth on each of these, but you get the point. Here are a couple of other take-aways from the article:
"Children don't need you to be perfect. What they really need are lots of hugs and kisses, and a happy mommy."
"Remember that the essence of parenting isn't in the milestones, but in the every day moments."

Enjoy the New Year's celebration, and be sure that in 2011 you focus on making YOURSELF happy, so that you can make your FAMILY happy too :)

If you have any great tips or suggestions you'd like to share on how to balance work/life and mom/self please share!

1 comments:

Lauren Cairns said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I'll be printing this out to hang on my fridge, too :)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for sharing your comment. - Jen

Related Posts with Thumbnails