- apple cider vinegar (NOT white vinegar)
- dish soap
- jar with a lid
- something sharp to poke holes
- Carefully poke some holes in the lid.
- Fill the jar with some apple cider vinegar (1/4 - 1/2 c.).
- Add a drop of dishwashing liquid and swirl it around a bit.
- Cover the jar with the lid.
- Sit patiently and wait.
See them floating in there?:
My catch after 3 days (after emptying most of the vinegar):
- Make sure your counter compost container is emptied regularly (its a haven for fruit flies).
- Just a drop of dish soap is all you need - it breaks the surface tension.
- Although my holes were kind of large (and I saw some flies go in and then out), I was still a successful hunter!